The
Dream at the Olympic Stadium
The marble
seats of the ancient Olympic Stadium were warm under the afternoon sun. After
walking through Athens all morning, I stretched out on one of the stone
benches, holding my smartphone in my right hand.
"I'll
just close my eyes for five minutes," I murmured.
The next
thing I knew, someone cleared his throat.
"Χαῖρε, stranger!"
I opened my
eyes.
Sitting
beside me was a middle-aged Greek in a spotless white himation, curly beard,
leather sandals, and the confident look of a man who had never heard of income
tax.
He stared at
me.
I stared at
him.
He stared at
my shirt.
Then my
trousers.
Then my
shoes.
Then my
spectacles.
Finally, his
eyes rested on the black rectangle in my hand.
He frowned.
Instead, I
pointed at my phone.
I opened
Google Translate.
He looked
puzzled.
("Τι είναι αυτό;") ("What is that?")
"This?"
(αυτό ? )
"Ναί (Yes.")
"It
translates languages." (Μεταφράζει
γλώσσες)
He laughed
loudly.
Μια μαγική πέτρα; Αγαπητέ μου Ινδέ
φίλε, έχω δει πολλά κόλπα στην Αλεξάνδρεια.
("A magic stone? My dear Indian friend, I've seen many tricks in
Alexandria.")
He looked
puzzled.
"«Θα μιλήσω ελληνικά» he declared proudly. (I hall speak Greek," )
He began
speaking rapidly.
Google
listened.
A second
later the phone spoke perfect English.
"Greetings.
I am Lysander. Merchant, occasional sailor, full-time survivor of Hippalus’
navigation." (Χαιρετισμούς. Είμαι ο
Λύσανδρος. Έμπορος, περιστασιακός ναύτης, μόνιμος επιζών της ναυσιπλοΐας του
Ιππάλου.».)
Lysander
nearly fell off the marble bench.
Η πέτρα μιλάει!»
( "The stone speaks!")
"It
does." («Το κάνει.)
«Ζει ο Ερμής μέσα σε αυτό;»("Does Hermes live inside it?")
"No."
(Ochi.)
Όλες οι εικόνες του Απόλλωνα ("Then perhaps Apollo?")
"No."(Ochi.)
"Πολύ
μικροσκοπικοί σκλάβοι;"("Very tiny slaves?")
"No."
(Ochi.)
Πρέπει να είναι φυλακισμένοι
φιλόσοφοι. ("It must be imprisoned philosophers.)
"No."
(Ochi.)
He picked up
my smartphone.
«Άρα αυτό το αντικείμενο ξέρει
ελληνικά...» ("So this object knows Greek...")
"Yes."
("Ναί.")
("Λατινικά;")“Latin?”
"Yes."
(Ochi.)
"...πιθανώς Αιγύπτιος;" ("...probably Egyptian?")
"Yes." (Ochi.)
"...και σανσκριτικά;
("...and Sanskrit?")
"Yes."
(Ochi.)
He looked
genuinely offended.
«Πέρασα δώδεκα χρόνια μαθαίνοντας
ελληνική ρητορική.» ("I spent twelve years learning Greek
rhetoric."
Lysander
sighed.
«Έχω σπαταλήσει τη νιότη μου».
("I have wasted my youth.")
He pointed
solemnly at my phone.
«Αλλά αυτή η μικρή μαύρη πλάκα είναι
το πιο τρομακτικό πράγμα που έχω δει ποτέ.» ("But
that little black tablet is the most terrifying thing I have ever
seen.")
«Είσαι... Πέρσης;» ("Are you... a Persian?")
"No."(Ochi.)
Αιγύπτιος;" ("Egyptian?"))
"No."
."(Ochi.)
He scratched
his beard.
«Τότε από πού είσαι, για όνομα του
Δία;»)("Then
where in Zeus' name are you from?")
"India."
Ινδία
His face lit up.
Ινδία! Υπέροχα! Μόλις επέστρεψα από
εκεί με τον Ίππαλο, τον μεγάλο θαλασσοπόρο.
(India! Wonderful! I have just returned from there
with Hippalus, the great navigator.")
"You
travelled with Hippalus?" (Ταξιδέψατε με τον Ίππαλο;)
(«Πράγματι! Οι νοτιοδυτικοί άνεμοι
μας μετέφεραν υπέροχα. Φτάσαμε στο Μουζίρις. Το καλύτερο πιπέρι στον κόσμο!»)
("Indeed!
The southwest winds carried us beautifully. We reached Muziris. Finest pepper
in the world! " )
I almost
laughed.
"Allá.. ("But...") he continued, looking at
my clothes suspiciously, Δεν ντύνεσαι
όπως κανείς στην Ινδία.."
Then he
asked,
«Ποιο βασίλειο υπηρετείτε; Τους Σαταβαχάνα;
Τους Τσέρα; ("What kingdom do
you serve? The Satavahanas? The Cheras?")
I smiled.
"I come
from... much later." ( «Κατάγομαι από... πολύ αργότερα.»)
He blinked.
«Τι σημαίνει «πολύ αργότερα ? ( "What is 'much
later'?")
I decided
not to explain two thousand years of history in one sentence.
Next he
happily described India as he knew it.
Το Μουζίρις είναι γεμάτο κόσμο."Muziris is crowded."
"It
still is." («Ακόμα είναι.»)
«Οι έμποροι πιπεριού είναι έξυπνοι.»
("The pepper merchants are clever.")
"They
still are." («Ακόμα είναι.»)
Suddenly he
frowned.
«Μα γιατί είσαι ντυμένος έτσι;»
("But why are you dressed like this?")
"It's
modern fashion." («Μα γιατί είσαι ντυμένος έτσι;»)
«Εννοείς ότι οι άνθρωποι φορούν
πρόθυμα ρούχα που δένονται;» ("You mean
people willingly wear joined clothes?")
"Yes." ("Ναί.")
«Και μακριές σωλήνες;»
("And long pipes?")
"Yes."." ("Ναί.")
He looked
horrified.
«Μα πώς αναπνέουν τα γόνατά σου;»
("But how do your knees breathe?)"
He noticed
my wristwatch.
«Τι είναι αυτό το βραχιόλι;»
("What is that bracelet?")
"It
tells time." («Δείχνει την ώρα.»)
He examined
it.
«Κουβαλάς τον χρόνο στο χέρι σου;»
("You carry time on your arm?")
"Yes." "
("Ναί.")
"«Και όλοι έχουν από ένα;»
(And everyone owns one?")
"Not
anymore." («Όχι πια.»)
His eyes
sparkled.
«Έτσι έγιναν τόσο πλούσιοι που κάθε
πολίτης έχει τον χρόνο του;» ("So they
became so wealthy that every citizen owns time?")
“Yes." "
("Ναί.")
Then a plane
flew overhead.
Lysander
ducked.
«Αλλά αυτή η μικρή μαύρη πλάκα είναι
το πιο τρομακτικό πράγμα που έχω δει ποτέ.» ("What
enormous bird is that?")
"An
aeroplane. It carries bout three hundred people." («Ένα αεροπλάνο. Μεταφέρει περίπου τριακόσια
άτομα.»)
«Μεταφέρει κόσμο;»
("It carries people?")
He looked at
the sky.
«Έτσι, ο Δαίδαλος τελικά τα κατάφερε.» ("So Daedalus1 finally
succeeded.")
Lysander
quietly sat down.
«Δεν με εκπλήσσει πια τίποτα». ("I am no longer surprised
by anything.)"
A voice
echoed across the stadium.
"Sir...
sir... the stadium is closing!"
I opened my
eyes.
A security
guard was smiling at me.
My phone was
still in my hand.
Had I
dreamed it all!
Somewhere,
perhaps in another century, Lysander was probably telling Hippalus,
"The
Indians of the future imprison translators inside little black stones... and
they still grow the finest pepper in the world."
1.
Dedalus was a talented inventor and sculptor
in Greek mythology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daedalus
No comments:
Post a Comment